Tuesday 28 September 2010

EARNING MY LIVING WITH LANGUAGES

It is now almost more than 15 years that I make my living out of languages. I started at the University, when I was still a student, studying a two program studies in Italian and journalism. It was not only a two program studies, but also a two Faculties studies, since I had to ping pong myself between the two Universities. My study schedule was really all day long, and sometimes I couldn't manage to attend to all the lectures, it was really impossible, to be at two lectures at the same time or be there in ten minutes, as the bus took half an hour from one Faculty to the other. Oh, those were the days. I wanted interested studies and so it was.
Nowadays my working days are not so moved, as I work from home and I collaborate with several translation agencies. I will name all the agencies I work and worked for.
The first translation agency I worked for was Skrivanek. I started to work for the agency in the 1999, when I was finishing my studies at the University.
Then I worked as a translator for the textile company in Ljubljana, Julon, from 2001 to 2003.
In 2006 I started to work for Optimus lingua translation agency.
In 2007 I started to cooperate also with Julija translation agency and in 2008 I started to work for Alkemist translatio agency, Multilingual and Eurotranslate.
In 2010 I cooperated also with Preteks translation service.
Besides the translation agencies I translated also for private persons and for companies. I translated internet pages into Italian for Bio-pharma, and I translated Instruction manuals for Balavto d.o.o., they are both Slovene companies. I also did simultaneous translation for some Slovene companies.
I still cooperate with most of the agencies. Some of them stopped to cooperate with me, the most of them are still sending me translation projects.
I hope I will cooperate with new agencies in the future or maybe publishing houses. This would be great, to translate also books.
As for the languages I work with, the combinations are the following:
Italian-Slovene, Slovene-Italian, Spanish-Slovene, Slovene-Spanish, English-Slovene, Slovene-English.
Besides the four languages mentioned above, I speak some French and German, an a little Portuguese. I am still learning the three of them. I would like to learn Chinese, but for now I have no time left to learn a new language, maybe in the future.

Languages are great, not only because they help you in your journeys but also for work. Besides they make you understand not only different people, but also different cultures, as cultures and languages are closely linked one to the other.

And as Ludwig Wittgenstein said: "The limits of my language are the limits of my world."

No comments: