Wednesday 15 June 2011

BEING A HOME WORKING MOM


Yeah, the picture above shows perfectly what a home working mom means. Sometimes having eight hands would be a perfect solution to do all the home and working and mom tasks. But sometimes I would just need to clone myself, so one me would take care of my 20th months baby and the other me would work and do other home things: cooking, cleaning, etc.

Just working, when you are a home working mom, is a luxury that home working moms have no idea what this is. Yes, there were times when I was just working, came home and watch telenovelas. But now, I have to combine all my mom things like playing with my kid, teaching and educating her, feeding, etc. and than cooking the meals, cleaning, so the house won't look a total mess, and of course finding time to sit down and work. I work as a translator, and sometimes the due dates are killing me, and sometimes I must pass over projects just because I can't find time to do them.

I work as a freelance translator for quite some years now. I started in 2003, when I kick my job and started to study a master in anthropology and work from home. The beginnings were difficult, I had to work hard to have my list of clients and agencies to collaborate with, but in that times, I was single and I had all the time in the world to do all my work and study. Now is different, I have to calculate the time I will spend working, doing house duties and taking care of my baby. Sometimes is so stressful that I just wish I had some magic power and do all the things.

As all the works, being a home working mom has its pros and its cons.

The pros are: that you are your own boss, make your own working schedule and have the time to be with your kid, spend some quality time with her.

But the cons are that sometimes you cannot do some short projects that agencies or client want in the same day, and that if you do not have projects, you do not have money, and you have to be a hell of a good accountant to make all the numbers fit.

Yeah, working moms are really worthy gold, but unfortunately we are not appreciated as we should be.

What can a mom, that want to stay at home do to find a job. Well, think of what can she do, what kind of abilities she has. Translating is just one option, but there are others, such as selling on-line, writing, and surely many more that I am considering as well, as I am actually a little feed up with translation jobs and due dates.

And bellow: the reason I am working from home......


The time I spend with my little kid is precious, and it is really worth the effort.

No comments: